If you are not satisfied with a service provided by UWS, any of its departments or schools, or Your Union at UWS itself, you can submit a complaint. 

What is a complaint?

A complaint is a way to show your dissatisfaction with a service, action or lack of action that either the University or Your Union at UWS or one of our service providers provide. 

What can I complain about?

You can complain about anything in which you feel that you have not received the service that you would expect from the University or Your Union at UWS. 

The University has a list of things that its complaints handling process is unable to deal with. These include:

  • a routine first-time request for a serivce
  • a request for information or an explanation of policy or practice
  • a request under the Freedom of Information or Data Protection legislation
  • requests for compensation only
  • an appeal about academic decisions on assessment or admission
  • an issue which is being, or has been considered by a court or tribunal
  • an attempt to re-open a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered after UWS has made a final decision

How can I raise a complaint?

Sometimes complaints can be dealt with informally. You can raise the issue directly with an appropriate University staff member or a Union staff member. 

If the complaint needs to be more formal, you can make a complaint about a university service by following the five stages of complaints below:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

To make a formal complaint about a Union service, you can do so by emailing the Chief Executive.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Generally, complaints should be submitted within six months of

  • the event you want to complain about or;
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain. 

Sometimes complaints can be accepted after this time limit. You should indicate in your complaint why the time limit should not apply. 

Whats the process after I complain?

University complaints have a number of stages that they go through. The first stage is supported by Academic Services and lead by an appropriate senior member of staff. Normally, such complaints will be concluded within five working days. At the end of this process, you will receive written confirmation of the outcome. 

If you are unhappy at the outcome of the stage one complaint, you can exculate to stage two. 

At Your Union the complaint will be dealt with by the Chief Executive and we will attempt to get a resolution within ten working days and you will be notified in writing of the outcome. If you are unhappy with the outcome you can submit a further complaint to the Trustee Board. 

What if I'm still not happy?

If you are still unhappy at the outcome of your University complaint you may raise it with the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman. Please be aware that the SPSO will only look at complaints which have been concluded, and will not normally look at complaints over a year old or anything which is being considered in Court. 

If you are unhappy with the outcome of a complaint within Your Union at UWS you can escalate the matter to the University. 

Getting Help

The Your Union at UWS can help you with your complaint, and give you advice on how best to proceed. If you feel that you need to make a complaint you should make an appointment with one of our advice workers. 

© SAUWS | Charity number: SC049356 (Scotland) | Sitemap | Powered by MSL