Quick links to the topics covered on this page:
- What is the Societies Council?
- When and where?
- Societies Executive Committee
- Societies Council Minutes and Actions
What is the Societies Council?
- The Societies Council is the opportunity for you to have your say on how the Students’ Union supports your societies.
- Your opinions are essential for shaping how we work to support each other and enable societies to continue to grow and develop. It also brings different societies together to share ideas and work together.
- Every society should be represented by at least one member at each council. All student society members are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- UWS Students' Union Societies Council Bye Law
When and where?
- The Societies Council meets four times a year. Meetings will be held on Wednesday afternoons for two hours.
- Council meetings will be held online using Zoom.
- Specific details and the agenda will be provided in advance of each meeting.
Societies Executive Committee
Each year the Societies Council will elect a Societies Executive Committee. The role of the Societies Committee is to:
- Ensure the Students’ Union acts on ideas and issues raised at Council meetings
- Help plan and coordinate society events
- Approve any necessary society affiliation and funding decisions
Executive Committee Members:
Clare Hunter (she/her) - Chair
VP Student Development
Sarah Anderson (she/her)
Course: Social Work
About me: I'm a disabled, mature, LGBT+ student and as such have met my share of barriers and boundaries. I believe my lived experience can help remove these for others.
What do I want to achieve? Equality, diversity, inclusion and equity are my passions. I want to use my skills and experience to help form and grow liberation societies. I have also set up an academic and political society and I want to use lessons from these to help fellow societies. I believe we have a diverse and vibrant community of students at UWS so I am really looking forward to what the year will bring.
Ellie Gomersall (she/her)
Course: Physics with Education
About me: Hi! I’m Ellie and I’m a member of several societies at UWS and have taken on a number of roles on committees for these groups, all of which are very close to my heart. I’m passionate about theatre, politics and social justice, and this is reflected in some of the societies I’m involved in!
What do I want to achieve? Every society at UWS is different and I think it’s really important that we acknowledge this and ensure each society is able to access the help and support it needs from the Union. I’m also keen to strengthen our communication within the Union, and to help improve recognition of our society committees, who work tirelessly to make UWS a better place for students.
There are still positions available on the Societies Executive Committee
Nominate yourself to be on this year's Societies Committee!
Societies Council Minutes and Actions
28/10/2020 - Council Minutes
09/09/2020 - Council Minutes
09/09/2020 - Council Powerpoint Slides
19/08/2020 - Society Committee Members Feedback Survey March 2020