Page last updated 06/01/2021
Benefits of volunteering
Aside from the obvious feel-good factor from giving your time to a worthy cause, volunteering has a number of key benefits for you career!
Meet new people and have fun
- Being at university is a great time to meet new people and make friends who share the same interests as you. Volunteering is a great way to meet some of them.
- Trying new things can also help you find out what you enjoy doing most.
Make a difference
- Volunteering can provide you with opportunities to help other people, make a difference in your community and take pride in what you do.
Improve your career opportunities
- As a graduate, employers know you can learn and they take your knowledge for granted. Volunteering can help make you stand out from the crowd and have good experiences to share in job interviews.
- Volunteering can also allow you to build networks for future employment.
What's it like to volunteer for Your Union at UWS?
Meet Rivia, a member of Students' Union Volunteering Team 2020!
What have you enjoyed most about volunteering with the Students' Union so far?
"My favourite bits of the volunteering with the union freshers' were learning more about the student union work and services available. Participating in the online meetings was good for meeting people and talking about my own experiences. I've enjoyed working with the union staff. They're friendly and professional."
What have you gained from your volunteering?
"I gained experience with running online meetings. I have improved my public speaking skills and I feel more confident participating in other activities at the Uni."
How to find a volunteering opportunity
PLEASE NOTE: In-person volunteering opportunities are limited due to the current situation around COVID-19. Find out the COVID protection level for each local area in Scotland here and get information on what you can and cannot do at each level.
- Have a look through the list below for the opportunities currently available
- Click on the organisation logos for more information on their opportunities
- Once you've decided on the opportunity for you, select "Click here to Volunteer/Join the Team" at the top of their page. This link will take you to the volunteering registration form. Submit this to register. (You need to log in to the website uing your Banner ID and password to enable this)
- Once your form has been processed, the Students' Union will send an email to the organisation to introduce you to them and help you get started in your role. You will be copied into this through your UWS student email address
- The Students' Union are available to provide any additional support you may need. We will also update you on volunteering award opportunities that you may be eligible for
For more external volunteering opportunities in and around your area, you can also search these databases: