Gender Based Violence

This is information on gender based violence for UWS students.

advice hubpersonal

The Student Union has created this support section for women who are experiencing gender based violence. A wide range of specialist services, organisations and helplines exist and we have brought them together in this resource to help you find the resource you need.

Our Union works in partnership with the University and other support organisations to help students get the best support for their needs. If you want to speak to one of our advice workers, please email

You can also get support from the University. If you wish to access university help please contact or call 0141 848 3800.


Sexual consent refers to someone willingly agreeing to have sex or engage in a sexual activity. To give consent, the person must be able to make their own decisions. Someone who is incapacitated through alcohol or drugs, or who is asleep or unconscious, cannot give consent to sexual activity.

Consent to engage in one form of sexual activity does not mean that a person has given consent to all forms of sexual activity. Consent can be withdrawn at any time and where someone has consented to sexual activity once this does not mean that he or she has consented to this activity in the future.

Making sure you have consent before having any kind of sex with another person is very important as sexual activity without consent is rape or sexual assault.

Support Contacts